Canadian City Government
A Canadian city created a data-sharing hub for its city systems and governmental departments to achieve a single view of shared information and entities.
Business objective & project requirements
The city government aimed to implement an effective Master Data Management and Data Governance solution and overcome data challenges including duplication and ineffective sharing among data systems.
- Define a common data model to share data and provide storage for shared entities.
- Develop software services that allow all systems to interact with the hub, including batch interfaces for interaction with legacy systems.
- Handle identity management on shared entities to retrieve authoritative, complete, and unique master entities.
- Control access to information based on defined security policies.
Initial data challenges
- Data duplication across main data entities and departments.
- Ineffective data sharing: Large software solutions were deployed without support for data sharing between various systems.
- Lack of formal data governance: Common entities were authored and managed through multiple processes.
- Complex organization: Hundreds of municipal services within dozens of departments.
- Distributed IT governance: Each department assumed responsibility for managing the acquired data, as well as deploying and supporting its own services.
Solution & benefits
Ataccama created a data-sharing hub for the city systems across various governmental departments by implementing transactional Master Data Management (MDM) for all available entities.
- A single view of all shared information and entities, ensuring consistency and completeness of information while avoiding redundancy.
- A defined central data model for core, shared entities in the city systems.
- Automatic cleansing and consolidation to ensure a common, clean, trustworthy view of data for all systems. A matching and merging process creates golden records for the mastered entities, maximizing data quality.
- Easy management of an MDM repository for storing master data (including original source data) to be managed and shared across all city systems.
- Compatibility with legacy systems
- Manual issue resolution
- Data monitoring from a user-friendly, collaborative dashboard.
- Easy access to information: Alignment with the Open Data concept by enabling easier access to information.